Explore Booksellers, a local treasure and nationally-known independent bookstore, has been serving the Aspen, Colorado community for nearly 40 years. Our buyers curate a large collection of books ranging widely in subject matter and a beautiful selection of cards, journals, gifts and games. Known as a community gathering place for locals and visitors alike with a “salon-like vibrancy” Explore also offers a thoughtful and inspiring line-up of speakers and events that welcome and challenge visitors to discover and explore new ideas.
The General Manager is instrumental in driving the business to achieve its goals. The role of Manager assumes responsibility of understanding the mission and vision of the bookstore to deepen its role as a community hub for locals and must-stop location for visitors, and of working toward a successful, profitable business.
The General Manager is primarily responsible for running a successful business that serves the community and leads a team that handles all aspects of bookstore operations, including buying book and non-book merchandise, inventory management, merchandising and store promotions, serving customers, marketing and advertising, and maintaining mutually beneficial community relations with other businesses and groups in the surrounding area.
Representative responsibilities include:
- Driving the business plan; expanding and improve sales
- Lead bookstore to achieve financial goals; apply resources in the best possible way. Manage budget and use data to make business decisions
- Build new relationships and partners among businesses and groups in the Roaring Fork Valley and beyond
- Drive marketing, including email newsletter, website and social media presence. Develop innovative strategies for bringing in new customers
- Work with staff to create an attractive, dynamic shopping environment and experience
- Work with floor manager to hire, train and lead staff; set performance standards, provide ongoing support and feedback, and develop regular performance reviews
- Oversee inventory management and work with buyer to ensure bookstore is stocked with popular and unique titles for maximum profitability
- Oversee ongoing staff education and training
- Process invoices, create invoices, deposit funds and process payroll. Work with accountant to understand and drive all financial aspects of bookstore
- Provide regular reports to owners
- Additional responsibilities as assigned
Basic qualifications include a Bachelor’s Degree from accredited college or university, at least 5 years of relevant professional experience, previous experience as a team leader or manager of 3+ employees/direct reports, computer and technology savvy, a love for books, and an eagerness to learn.
Ideal candidates will have more robust staff management experience, a track record of driving business goals and vision including managing a budget and business plan, strong community relations skills, and 3+ years of retail management experience. Candidates must have excellent independent judgment and discretion and the ability to oversee significant projects
Location: Aspen, Colorado or Denver, Colorado with regular travel to Aspen, Colorado
Compensation and Benefits: The compensation range for this position is $34,000-$50,000 and depends on relevant experience, education, and location. Our benefits package may include medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and dependents and paid time off.
How to apply: To apply, please send your resume and a cover letter to Amanda Read at email@example.com. Note: a cover letter is required.
Explore Booksellers is an equal opportunity employer.