Explore Booksellers, a local treasure and nationally-known independent bookstore, has been serving the Aspen, Colorado community for nearly 40 years. Our buyers curate a large collection of books ranging widely in subject matter and a beautiful selection of cards, journals, gifts and games. Known as a community gathering place for locals and visitors alike with a “salon-like vibrancy” Explore also offers a thoughtful and inspiring line-up of speakers and events that welcome and challenge visitors to discover and explore new ideas.
We are seeking a Floor Manager candidate to manage our bookstore team of 3-7 booksellers. This position is part of the Explore Booksellers's leadership team and is a key component to making Explore Booksellers a central part of the community. The position includes 16 “off floor” hours for scheduling and other managerial tasks, plus 24 hours working on the sales floor. Full availability is required for the summer festival season and the holiday season.
The Floor Manager is instrumental in creating and maintaining a positive work environment and developing an enjoyable customer experience. This position assists the Operations Manager in supervising and managing store operations.
Representative responsibilities include:
- Plans and prepares work schedules ensuring coverage.
- Hires and trains new team members and seasonal team members for peak seasons
- Provides on-going training to staff on store operations.
- Ensures staff follow company and store policies, procedures and standards
- Leads by example in providing excellent customer service, ensuring complete customer satisfaction by addressing requests and resolving problems
- Calculates deposits, counts cash drawers, counts the safe, works with accounts receivable.
- Researches accounts receivable problems. Investigates the reason for cash drawers not balancing.
- Enters and produces daily sales reports, month end reports, and payroll reports.
- Executes merchandising standards, promotion standards, creating displays, etc.
- Receives and unloads merchandise, verifies orders, and displays merchandise in accordance with Explore standards.
- Key holder with opening and closing responsibilities.
- May provide general store cleaning (vacuuming, sweeping, mopping, and dusting) and straightening (shelves, displays, and register areas).
- Applies shrink prevention practices and activities, such as visible customer service, etc.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned
Basic qualifications include a Bachelor’s Degree from accredited college or university, at least 1-3 years of relevant professional experience, previous experience as a team leader or supervisor, computer and technology savvy required, effective verbal and written communication, a love for books, and an eagerness to learn. Candidates must have excellent judgment and discretion and the ability to oversee significant projects.
Ideal candidates will have more robust staff management experience, strong community relations skills, and 3+ years of retail management experience.
Location: Aspen, Colorado
Job Type: Full-time
Rate of Pay: $15-$17 per hour, depending on experience
Benefits: Fully-paid health insurance. Paid time off. Employee discount.
Schedule: 40 hours/week, including some weekend work. Full availability required for the summer festival season and the holiday season.
How to apply: To apply, please send your resume and a cover letter to Amanda Read at email@example.com. Note: a cover letter is required.
Explore Booksellers is an equal opportunity employer.