Chinatown Pretty: Fashion and Wisdom from Chinatown's Most Stylish Seniors (Hardcover)
Usually Available/Ships in 5-7 Business Days
Chinatown Pretty features beautiful portraits and heartwarming stories of trend-setting seniors across six Chinatowns.
Andria Lo and Valerie Luu have been interviewing and photographing Chinatown's most fashionable elders on their blog and Instagram, Chinatown Pretty, since 2014.
Chinatown Pretty is a signature style worn by pòh pohs (grandmas) and gùng gungs (grandpas) everywhere—but it's also a life philosophy, mixing resourcefulness, creativity, and a knack for finding joy even in difficult circumstances.
• Photos span Chinatowns in San Francisco, Oakland, Los Angeles, Chicago, New York City, and Vancouver.
• The style is a mix of modern and vintage, high and low, handmade and store bought clothing.
• This is a celebration of Chinese American culture, active old-age, and creative style.
Chinatown Pretty shares nuggets of philosophical wisdom and personal stories about immigration and Chinese-American culture.
This book is great for anyone looking for advice on how to live to a ripe old age with grace and good humor—and, of course, on how to stay stylish.
• This book will resonate with photography buffs, fashionistas, and Asian Americans of all ages.
• Chinatown Pretty has been featured by Vogue.com, San Francisco Chronicle, Design Sponge, Rookie, Refinery29, and others.
• With a textured cover and glossy bellyband, this beautiful volume makes a deluxe gift.
• Add it to the shelf with books like Humans of New York by Brandon Stanton, Advanced Style by Ari Seth Cohen, and Fruits by Shoichi Aoki.
About the Author
Valerie Luu is a writer and one-half of the Vietnamese pop-up restaurant Rice Paper Scissors. She lives in San Francisco.
Andria Lo is a freelance photographer whose work has been featured in the San Francisco Chronicle, the New York Times, and Wired. She lives in Berkeley.
“If you’ve ever strolled through a Chinatown coveting a 90-year-old woman’s dazzlingly creative outfit, you’re not alone. The new photography collection Chinatown Pretty features glam portraits of—and stirring stories of resilience from—trend-setting seniors in San Francisco, Oakland, Los Angeles, Chicago, New York City, and Vancouver. These stylish poh pohs (grandmas) and gung gungs (grandpas) will teach you how to stay strong during tough times—and pair leopard print with gingham.” —O, the Oprah Magazine
“These photos of Chinatown fashion prove age has nothing to do with style.” —Buzzfeed
“This book is an utter delight. Bay Area locals Valerie and Andria photographed extremely stylish seniors across six different Chinatowns. The stories and outfits are lovely and inspiring.” —The Glitter Guide